Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My toast to my dear friend Mary and her new husband Randy…. on their wedding day in Hawaii

For a while I have thought about what I would say to you on your wedding day, but I never thought that I would be saying it long distance. Either way, I want to toast to you. It’s hard to believe that it has been 18 years since I first met Mary and played on a volleyball team with her. Since that time we have shared so many dear memories, from trips, to hanging out in Brady’s truck at lunch, to teaching me how to ski, and even to becoming roommates. When I think back to all these times, I can’t help but smile and think what a dear friend you have been to me. We have seen each other through many times of laughter and tears and today I want to thank you for all the wonderful memories that we have shared.
Today, you embrace the beginning of a new life. Today you join your life to Randy ‘s and I must say, even though I have only met him once, you are perfect for each other because although I do not know Randy well, I can see that he brings out your best qualities, enhancing your personality. In the poem “Love” by Leo Buscaglia, it says


"One cannot give what he does not possess. To give love you must possess love.
One cannot teach what he does not understand. To teach love you must comprehend love.
One cannot know what he does not study. To study love you must live in love.
One cannot appreciate what he does not recognize. To recognize love you must be receptive to love.
Once cannot have doubt about that which he wishes to trust. To trust love you must be convinced of love.
Once cannot admit what he does not yield to. To yield to love you must be vulnerable to love.
Once cannot live what he does not dedicate himself to. To dedicate yourself to love you must be forever growing in love."

On this day, you begin your forever as you intertwine your lives as husband and wife. And with each day, I pray that your love grows and changes as days turn into weeks and weeks into years. I pray that your love be blessed with trust, happiness, faithfulness and hope. Each day, I wish for you that you remember to cherish each other. Today, I toast to a beginning of a life of two wonderful people, to the joining of two families and to my dearest friend. May your life be blessed.

No comments: